1. Note to previous customers:
If you purchased a copy of EyeLeash or 4:Play from July 2009 – April 2010, let me know if you would like to download an improved version (the main additions would be a linked table of contents, author Q&A, and slightly better looking formatting). I’ll send you a coupon code to download the Kindle file via Smashwords.
2. Reasons for my recent tweaks to Kindle editions:
a) I recently noticed a new category for Kindle Books (Web->Blog), which is EXACTLY where my first book falls under, lol. The previous keywords/categories I used were absolutely abysmal (I never thought to include the keywords “instant messaging,” even though EyeLeash *is* a blog/IM novel).
b) I don’t think all Kindle customers necessarily own a Kindle at the moment (I, for instance, read on the PC via Kindle for PC). The formatting for my first two books is quite “elaborate” — there are chat transcripts and poetry excerpts, which require a different style and structure from a straight narrative.
c) Saving my original .doc file as a filtered web page HTML keeps the original formatting — however, all the line breaks disappear when the file is downloaded onto Kindle for PC. I like having the line breaks (on PC at least) because they’re easier on the eyes.
3. Kindle DTP (Digital Text Platform) takes a while to propagate (like servers and URL/domain names)…
The above screenshot reads: “Most titles take between 24 to 36 hours to become buyable.” During this timeframe of 24 to 36 hours, I am unable to edit the Kindle file/categories in any way. I have to wait (24 to 36 hours = an eternity, in the electronic world!) till the new categories are in, then check if they help improve the visibility of my book.
Again, EyeLeash is the trickier one to categorize (it falls under contemporary romance, YA fiction, blog, internet — you’re allowed a maximum of 5 set categories, so I’m trying to make THE best selections).
This reminds me of SEO for websites. I had the same problem — I’d make page/post titles all fancy and “creative” — which ultimately resulted in the pages not being well indexed by Google (which means lesser visibility for your page/post/product/etc).
I will take a maximum of 5 days (until 10 May 2010), before I let the categories for EyeLeash settle.
Yes, I have learned my lesson, and will be more precise with the formatting for future works (both print and electronic versions), as well as the keywords/categories for the best optimization. I tend to be quite gungho/zealous when executing a project, which can get in the way of effective planning with the details…
P.S. The gungho-ness comes with a “Just Do It” / “Get It Done” attitude. Next step = “Make It Work” (as Tim Gunn quips in Project Runway).