Last Updated on July 12th, 2019 at 7:30 AM
A Kwa family tree, showing some family members and their titles / positions. Links with verification and additional info below.
Thanks to several diligent netizens for contributing to this post.
KWA GEOK CHOO:
Kwa Geok Choo (“Mrs. LKY”) was married to Lee Kuan Yew for 63 years.
Kwa was the co-founder of Lee and Lee law firm. She participated in drafting the PAP party’s constitution and gave a speech on radio urging women to vote for the PAP in the upcoming elections.
ANTI-CLOCKWISE DIRECTION (from top left corner):
1. Kwa Kim Li is a niece of Kwa Geok Choo. Kwa Kim Li is a director at Mapletree Commercial Trust (a GLC and unit of Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd.’s property arm, Mapletree Investments).
2. Kwa Chong Seng, Public Service Commission (PSC) Member and former Temasek Holdings chairman, is a nephew of Kwa Geok Choo.
According to Wikipedia, Singapore’s Constitution, and PSC’s 2012 Annual Report:
The Public Service Commission (PSC) is constituted under Part IX of the Constitution of Singapore and its constitutional role is to appoint, confirm, promote, transfer, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over public officers in Singapore.
The PSC also retains two key non-constitutional roles. It considers the suitability of candidates for appointment as Chief Executive Officers of Statutory Boards; it is also responsible for the planning and administration of scholarships provided by the Government of Singapore.
Kwa Chong Seng was made chairman of Mediacorp (a Temasek-linked company) in April 2002. There are some excerpts of Kwa from PN Balji’s Reluctant Editor.
3. Kwa Chong Guan, chairman of the National Archives, is a nephew of Kwa Geok Choo. Read more about his influential titles at the end of this post on the National Heritage Board.
4. Kwa Soon Bee, former Permanent Secretary for Health and Director of Medical Services, is a brother of Kwa Geok Choo.
5. Kwa Soon Chuan was the first local appointed to the Colonial Administration. He is a brother of Kwa Geok Choo.
Kwa Soon Chuan’s spouse is Ivy Lim Seok Cheng (daughter of Lim Chong Pang). Ivy Lim’s link to Teo Chee Hean is through Teo Chee Hean’s great grand aunt (Teo Choon Lian), who was married to Ivy Lim’s great grandfather (Lim Peng Nguan; spouse of Teo Choon Lian). So Ivy Lim and Teo Chee Hean would address each other as 表姐, 表弟. In English, “cousin.”
6. Yong Nyuk Lin, Minister for Education in PAP’s first cabinet, is a brother-in-law of Kwa Geok Choo. His spouse is Kwa Geok Lan, elder sister of Kwa Geok Choo (Mrs. LKY).
7. Earnest Lau was the principal of ACS. His mother was Madam Yong Soong Moy, Headmistress of Geylang Methodist Girls’ School (1930s), and his father was Reverend Edward Sing Lau (Ee Sing), Pastor of Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church (1929-1930), Geylang English Methodist Church (1930-1951) and Straits Chinese Methodist Church (1952-1963). Earnest Lau’s spouse is Kwa Geok Lian, sister of Kwa Geok Choo.
8. According to a couple of thorough online comments, Kwa Chong Teck, Senior Advisor at National Dental Centre Singapore, is the brother of Kwa Chong Seng.
This blog post takes a look at Kwa Geok Choo (the “Dragon Lady”) through the perspective of Peranakan culture.
7 thoughts on “Kwa: Family Tree (Government Positions)”
.Let’s be fair….at least to Earnest Lau…..He was a good Christian who happened to be married to Geok Lian who
died at an EARLY age. (.well before the PAP was heard of ) and left Earnest a widower for most of his life ..of service to God and ACS. His parents good & decent
Christian people and they should not be dragged into
this whole unsavoury business that had little to do with
them…….My mother knew the Laus well…so I KNOW !
I’d be shirking my moral duty in not commenting though
I have never set eyes on Earnest myself. I’m sure he is
embarrassed by all these revelations. Allen, London, UK
Comments are closed.